Anna has decided she wants to learn lots more about ancient Egypt.
She took these photos at the Egyptian display at the Science Museum of Minnesota and she got even more hooked on that fascinating time and culture.
So it looks like we’re diving into some Egyptian fun!
Here’s a bit of stuff I’ve found on the subject to start us out tomorrow…
I haven’t looked at those in depth but they look quite thorough!
I also found this list of resources online and filtered out some dead or for-pay links but haven’t checked them all out yet…
- Mysteries of the Nile: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/pyramid/
- Secrets of Egypt: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pyramids/
- Another family’s Egypt unit study: http://www.walkingbytheway.com/blog/?p=340
- Read about the people of Ancient Egypt: http://www.carlos.emory.edu/ODYSSEY/EGYPT/people.html
- Daily Life in Ancient Egypt: http://www.carlos.emory.edu/ODYSSEY/EGYPT/daily.html
- Learn Egypt Vocabulary: http://www.seaworld.org/fun-zone/fun-guides/egypt/vocabulary.htm
- Learn about the Pyramids: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/egypt/index.html and http://www.discoveringegypt.com/pyr-temp.htm and http://www.seaworld.org/fun-zone/fun-guides/egypt/pyramid-power.htm
- How the Pyramids Were Built: http://buildthepyramid.com/newPages/1_pyramid_construction.htm
- Explore an Ancient Virtual Temple: http://showcase.netins.net/web/ankh/
- Egypt Architecture: http://library.thinkquest.org/10098/egypt.htm
- Visit Egyptian Landmarks: http://www2.sptimes.com/Egypt/EgyptG.1EgyptOld.html
- Look at Egyptian Artifacts: http://www2.sptimes.com/Egypt/Artifacts/Default.html
- See how Papyrus is made: http://www.papyrus-shop.com/manufactring.asp and purchase a kit to make papyrus at home: http://www.kingtutshop.com/PapAtHome/make_papyrus_at_home.htm
- Learn about the religion of Ancient Egypt: http://www.carlos.emory.edu/ODYSSEY/EGYPT/myth.html
- Read about Mummies: http://www.akhet.co.uk/clikmumm.htm and http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/VideoTestbed/Projects/Mummy/mummyhome.html
- Animals of Ancient Egypt: http://www.clevelandart.org/educatn/animals/index.html
- Learn Hieroglyphics: http://www.eyelid.co.uk/hiero1.htm and http://www.seaworld.org/fun-zone/fun-guides/egypt/hieroglyphics.htm
- Make a Cartouche:http://www.seaworld.org/fun-zone/fun-guides/egypt/make-your-own-cartouche.htm
- Learn about Egyptian Math: http://www.discoveringegypt.com/numbers.htm
- Fun with Logic – Archaeologist Challenge: http://www.seaworld.org/fun-zone/fun-guides/egypt/archeologists-challenge.htm
- Build a Pharoah: http://www.clevelandart.org/archive/pharaoh/rosetta/rose3d.html
- Draw like an Egyptian: http://www.cmi.k12.il.us/Urbana/projects/AncientCiv/egyptdraw/egyptdraw.html
- Play the Game of Morris: http://www.cmi.k12.il.us/Urbana/projects/AncientCiv/morris/Morris.html
- Make Your own Burial Chamber: http://www.cmi.k12.il.us/Urbana/projects/AncientCiv/tombs.html
- Egypt (Create your own mummy): http://www.cmi.k12.il.us/Urbana/projects/AncientCiv/MummyCrazy/pathfinder1.html
- Mummy Quiz: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/media/tv/mumquiz/mummyquiz1.html
- Read about Egyptian Medicine: http://www.arabworldbooks.com/articles8.htm and http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/egypt/dailylife/medicine.html and http://www.discoverymagazine.com/articles/d1998/d9802c.htm (K-3)
- Coloring Pages About Egypt: http://touregypt.net/kids/colorme.htm and http://members.aol.com/FyreWyngz/cbook/cbook.html
- Complete an Egypt Crossword Puzzle: http://www.seaworld.org/fun-zone/fun-guides/egypt/crossword-puzzle-clues.htm
- Egypt Flag Coloring Page: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/misc/eg-l.gif
- Egyptian Print Craft: http://www.crafts4kids.com/projects/egyptian_print.htm
- Ancient Egypt Crafts: http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/egyptian_crafts.html
- Create a Travel Brochure for Egypt. See samples: http://www.cmi.k12.il.us/Urbana/projects/AncientCiv/travel/travel.html
That should keep us busy for a while!
And a few of my latest yappings elsewhere…