It’s been forever since I’ve done one of these posts so I thought I’d throw out some fun alternative HS ideas for the week…
- Play a homeschool version of Balderdash. Write up a list of vocabulary words and make up some fake and real definitions. Challenge the kids to name the right definition for each word.
- Start a micro-journal. Give the kids a blank sketch book and ask them to draw a picture of at least one tiny thing viewed under the microscope each day (with labels and a bit of info). Alternately, have them draw the pictures on index cards and keep them in a recipe box. Have other members of the family try to guess what various micro-drawings are.
- Set up a math obstacle course in the back yard.
- Head to a local nature center and play. Most have free admission and air conditioning, and there’s generally all sorts of fun actitivities to involve the kids.
- Make a map dart board. Spread a US or world map over a large cork board and hang on the wall. Take turns calling off locations and then tossing darts to see who can land their darts closest. For younger kids, try doing this with spitballs.
And with that, I’m off to catch up on 1800 hours of TV shows that my sweetie taped for me while I was off playing in Nebraska!