Statistics are for suckers.
When my mother had her brain surgery, there was a 99% chance of a full recovery. Her tumor came back. And came back again.
According to statistics, one of my four children should be Chinese.
Here’s some more odds for ya.
- I’m 42 years old.
- We are very careful.
- There was ONE TIME we weren’t careful.
- I was nowhere near ovulation.
- “Statistics show that an average couple over 35 needs up to two years to conceive.”
Daryl and I have been walking around in a state of utter shock. He occasionally hyperventilates a bit too.
The doctor estimates I’m about 5 weeks along. She also says that my levels of everything are so high that I don’t need shots this time.
I know my odds.
At my age, half of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. There are lots of other things that can happen too.
I had 12 miscarriages before I had my children, before a specialist diagnosed me with lupus anacoagulate (thick blood) and said to take daily baby aspirin during my pregnancies and do Pregnyl (hCG) shots the first trimester.
And now my doctor wants to skip the shots. She says my levels are even higher than they should be and there’s no justifiable reason to give me the shots. Back with my other four, they didn’t test hGC levels so I have no idea of knowing what they were back then.
I’m taking my daily baby aspirin and they’re writing me a prescription for progesterone suppositories for the first trimester. They’re supposedly messy and will make me extra nauseous, but for a little extra peace of mind I’m thinking it’s a small price to pay.
I know “conventional wisdom” says to wait till after the first trimester to tell people.
I have never been conventional.
They say there’s so much that can go wrong.
That’s precisely why I do want to tell people! If something bad does happen, I’d much rather be able to talk about than to suffer through it all in silence!
And how could I mindlessly yap about free algebra pages and news stories and keep it to myself? I am just far too much of a big mouth.
The due date is October 17. We will have to do a planned C-section (no matter what lengths I have gone to, I am physically incapable of delivering naturally) about one week early, so around October 10.
If it happens…
I keep repeating those words. My odds are so slim.
But so much for odds.